Posted Under: Job Openings
Environics Analytics is currently seeking a Senior Research Associate/Economist to join the Custom Research team. The Custom Research team is responsible for the development and updating of most of Environics Analytics’ core products including DemoStats, LiquidAssets and WealthScapes. The Custom Research team is comprised of a group of multidisciplinary researchers headed by Dr. Tony Lea (Senior Vice President and Chief Methodologist) and Danny Heuman (Vice President of Custom Research). The successful applicant will be involved in a variety of projects including research and development and analytical research projects. The successful applicant will also have a multidisciplinary background in quantitative social science or regional science with experience in economics, demography, geography, and/or sociology.
The successful applicant will be involved in research involving regional and neighbourhood level models, generally with an economic flavour. Experience with applied microeconomic and econometric models is a definite advantage as well as experience with practical estimation and projection methods and technology. The role will involve modelling both pure economic and demographic variables such as populations, households, average household incomes, income distributions, etc. and any prior experience in this is a definite advantage. Some knowledge of demographic models and of operations research and both linear and non-linear optimization methods would also be helpful.
The role will have the following responsibilities:
- The most important aspect of the role (likely 60-75% of the time) is to theorize, design and build economic and demographic estimation and projection models for Canada – at all levels of geography from the nation down to the neighbourhood level (Dissemination Areas). The three key products involved here are DemoStats, LiquidAssets and WealthScapes (all three are described on our web site).
- The second aspect of the role (likely 25-40% of the time) is to design and build (or assist in these tasks), behavioural and/or predictive analytical models. These models are mostly statistical, related to marketing, CRM, shopping behaviour, subscribing, donating, dwelling selection, and the like.
Generally, the successful applicants will thrive in a highly quantitative role, developing and refining state-of-the-art geodemographic and geoeconomic methods and models in a dynamic environment.
This position is located in downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Applicants outside of the Toronto area must be willing to relocate to the Toronto area. This position will report either to the Senior Vice President and Chief Methodologist and/or the Vice President of Custom Research.
It is our desire to select a candidate before the end of the summer of 2013.
Salary will be commensurate with background, skills and experience.
Web site: http://www.environicsanalytics.ca
- An undergraduate degree is required (preferably in business, engineering or quantitative social science)
- A Master’s degree or higher and 5 or more years of relevant experience in academia, government or the private sector would be ideal
- A quantitative analytical skill set in economic spatial analysis and statistics are key
- Superb oral and written communication skills are essential along with the ability to write formal technical papers
- Experience with manipulating data in and retrieving data from large relational databases is preferred especially in an analytical setting
- The successful applicant should be comfortable working with large datasets (up to millions of rows and dozens of tables) and using linear and non-linear statistics (linear and non-linear regression, CHAID, etc.)
- Monte Carlo simulation and data mining techniques, while optional, would be useful
- Experience with ArcGIS (or similar GIS systems) would be ideal but optional
- Knowledge of Statistics Canada data programs is an asset
- We prefer someone who excels at and enjoys programming applied applications and models in some industry standard language (Alteryx, C#, MatLab and T-SQL) and the skill to use it in research practice
- A background using statistical software is a requirement with knowledge of SPSS and SAS JMP preferred
- Experience in goal-oriented applied research projects and models building, preferably with a geographical dimension, is desired
- Excellent interpersonal relations and demonstrated ability to work with others effectively in teams
- A strong work ethic, a passion for analytics, and a drive to succeed
- Proven ability to gather data, analyze and make recommendations
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Ability to develop and present new ideas and conceptualize new approaches and solutions
- Proven analytical skills and systematic problem solving
Apply with detailed resumé or CV in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
We monitor the web site regularly and will contact those persons of interest; please do not call.